THE NUMBER ONE BOOK TO READ IS THE BIBLE. (GREATEST “LIVING” “HISTORY” BOOK EVER WRITTEN!!)Books:1) The Books of Buckskinning 1 – 8
Scurlock Publishing Co.
2) A Pilgrim’s Journey Volume One 1986 – 1995
3) A Pilgrim’s Journey Volume Two 1996 – 2005
4) Tidings From the 18th Century
5) Who Was I? Creating a Living History Persona
6) Recreating the American Longhunter: 1740 – 1790
7) Sketch Book ’76: The American Soldier 1775 – 1781
8) An Historical Account of the Expedition Against the Ohio Indians in the Year 1764
9) Notes on the Settlement and Indian Wars of the Western Parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania
10) Peter Kalm’s Travels in North America
11) Notes on the Settlement & Indian Wars of the Western Parts of Virginia & Pennsylvania
12) Seedtime on the Cumberland
13) The Indian Tipi…Its History, Construction, and Use
2) On the Trail Magazine
1) Pioneering: The Longhunter Series (DVD)
1) Ayer Company Publishers, Inc.
Narrative Historical Novels:
I highly recommend reading the Winning of America series, by Allan W. Eckert. Do not be put off by the size of these books. (Each book is approximately 700-800 pages.) These books are fact, not fiction, but written in narrative form, which makes for fast, interesting reading. From the Intro of each book: “Every incident described actually occurred; every date is historically accurate; every character regardless of how major or how minor actually lived the role in which he is portrayed.”
The series includes the following books in the order they were written, but it is not necessary to read them in this order.
In addition, his book that is not in this series, That Dark and Bloody River, is a must for anyone with ancestors who settled in the Ohio River Valley. One caution-these books are not for the squeamish. Atrocities committed by both Europeans and Indians against each other are vividly described.
Mountains of Stone
The Winds of Change